- 2 Cups fine fresh ground coffee (go for the BOLD stuff!)
- 7 Cups white granulated cane sugar (I like organic – not heavily processed and has natural molasses in it – makes sweeter liquor)
- 1 Quart water (I use distilled bottled water – hate tap water…sometimes it has nasty odor or flavour)
- 1 Quart 80 proof vodka (no particular brand) or alcool (available at most liquor stores)
- 1 Whole vanilla bean
- 2 1-Quart sized, sealable glass containers
Bring the water to a full boil.Remove from heat and add the coffee and the sugar. Stir constantly until the sugar and coffee are completely dissolved.Strain out the grounds. Allow to cool. Add vodka or Alcool and stir. Pour into two separate 1-quart, seal-able glass containers. Drop one half of the vanilla bean into each container. Seal tightly. Apply a label or tie a note around the container identifying its contents and the date it was made. Allow the product to age by placing in a cool, dark place where they will be undisturbed for at least 30 days; the longer, the better. **Clean, empty 750 ml. wine bottles are great to use as your glass containers. (Remove the wine label.) Seal the wine bottles with vacuum-type bottle or soda container sealing caps (available at most grocery stores). GOOD LUCK!